Duke, “We’ve done all we can do”
We shipped the most recent MRI and data to my oncologist at Duke. She called Tina to share that it is her belief that there are not any hopeful treatment options available to me right now. That is, she doesn’t know of anything to stop it from growing. I have discontinued Vorinostat and will soon begin taking oral chemotherapy palliatively* — meaning for the purpose of extending life and alleviating symptoms. (Well, this does not resonate with me very well because I’m in a state of mind similar to when my cancer was first diagnosed — denial. I don’t feel sick. I’m not suffering from symptoms.)
What I’m suffering from is great riding weather, but knowing it’s too risky to be riding now.
*I’ll be taking Lomustine (one pill every 6 weeks) and daily Temozolomide and the next MRI will be in 6 weeks.
Surgery is not an option. Too much risk, and not much hope of success.
The previously mentioned NIH immunotherapy clinical trial probably isn’t an option either because we would have to wait several weeks for a chemo wash-out period before starting a new treatment, and they haven’t tested my tumor yet to see if I even have the gene to qualify for the study. I would also have to spend four weeks in the NIH hospital in DC far from home.
We’re not doing nothing.
We’ll make more treatment decisions and maybe some travel decisions too next week. I’ll continue with all the grass-roots efforts:
- nutrition, supplements, meditation, pranic healing sessions, acupuncture, etc.
I’ve been working on a series of paintings/drawings of my father’s Hawk tattoo.