Craniotomy, No. 2
Photo compliments of photographer and friend John Armitage, Feb 2012
We had lots of emotional discussion today. Tough decisions. After some self-medication, I was able to whittle down all the events of the day to provide you with this concise summation:
I am opting for brain surgery as soon as possible, which is likely to be early June.
I know that leaves out a lot of details. But don’t worry — things aren’t dire. Well, they might be. Who knows? That’s the problem — no one knows. It’s all a big gamble; each choice having compelling pros and cons.
My resolve is as strong as it has always been. It’s just my spirit that’s taken a trouncing. Expect I’ll be fine tomorrow.
I keep thinking that I’m being overly dramatic. But, this is kind of dramatic.
As always, I appreciate the flood of support.
Some of you have accused me of writing a post that inspired you. If I had to share my latest advice, it would be… to love. It’s simple and cliché. But everything we are can really be boiled down to Love — the basic unit of our being. Is this unconscious knowledge? If so, it must be easy to overlook; neglect; take for granted; or underestimate or else societies and our world would be a much more wonderful place in which to live. Don’t wait for a brush with mortality to embrace this. Live this and impress it on the youth.
I don’t wish a “brush with mortality” on anyone, but it seems to be effective.
Specific updates, in case I’m not able to reach everyone.
- Rat Bastards — I was so looking forward to riding to RHR X. Against odds, I still hold out hope. Shirts will get to you one way or the other, sooner or later.
- Cotton clan — let’s call Florida postponed, not cancelled. Maybe even still on?
- Maiden crew — not sure StapleHead will be ready to rock in time. Come by for a round of Grazers, though.
- Neighbors — forgive my behavior in these coming weeks 🙂
- Georgia friends — I have a week or two to connect before going under the knife. Afterwards, I may be fragile for a while. Don’t take offense if I get a little (more) anti-social.
- Alabama friends — not sure if UAB treatments will continue. We’re not done visiting though.
- R. Phillips — I’ll do my best to keep in touch and get together in the coming weeks. Thanks for the first-hand advice and support. Good luck with your battles.
- Maudsley’s — see you soon.
Tina, I love you.
It would take eternity to explain exactly what all I mean when I say that to you.
Again, a three-sentence update, evolves into a long ramble into the wee hours.